SMA Europe’s annual meetings this year were hosted by the Dutch neuromuscular disease association, VSN (Vereniging Spierziekten Nederland) in Utrecht between 6th & 8th April 2017.
The programme included:
- joint and individual meetings with the main pharmaceutical companies involved in the development of therapies for SMA;
- the review of 21 SMA research grant applications by our Scientific Advisory Board (SAB);
- a series of lectures on the theme of SMA care
- a visit from the Mayor of Utrecht, Mr. van Zanen, who gave a very well informed, motivational speech.
- SMA Europes AGM to review priorities for 2017 – 2018.
Representatives of AveXis, Biogen, Novartis and Roche joined us to update us on their respective programmes and to discuss the role SMA Europe can play in the development of therapies for SMA and in particular, on how we can address bottlenecks.
In a day-long session, our Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) reviewed 21 SMA research proposals, designed the scientific programme for our forthcoming SMA research & clinical conference in Kraków in January 2018 as well as an ENMC workshop on SMA big data and registries.
SMA care meeting
The Board of SMA Europe invited care experts Chiara Mastellas, Professors Ulrika Kreicberg and Ludo van der Pol to give informative talks on care for people with SMA.