5 Neurologists from sites in Belgium, Portugal, Romania, and Ukraine were selected to participate in Treat-NMD’s SMA Masterclass and benefit from an SMA Europe travel bursary.
The Masterclass took place in London, on Tuesday 29th and Wednesday 30th October 2019 and was chaired by Professor Nathalie Goemans of UZ Leuven (Belgium) and Professor Laurent Servais of Oxford University (UK). Additional leading experts delivered training via presentations and interactive sessions.
The meeting objectives were to:
- Provide high quality educational and interactive meeting for neurologists and other related specialities who may be diagnosing and/or managing the care of patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)
- Present the natural history of SMA
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the updated standard of care guidelines for SMA in the era of new treatment opportunities
- Consider the importance of physiotherapy in the management of SMA
- Provide an overview of therapies that are currently in late stage of clinical development and discuss the challenges in gaining access to new therapies – what are the lessons learned
- Understand the importance of nutrition in the management of SMA
Further information on the programme can be found here.